What is Laser Skin Resurfacing?
The minimally invasive, yet highly effective skin rejuvenation treatment known as laser skin resurfacing is designed to address and correct a number of problematic skin issues. During a laser skin resurfacing session, pulsating beams of light are directed at the skin to carefully remove the damaged outermost skin cells one layer at a time. After removing the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin), thermal energy from the laser heats the dermis (inner layers of the skin), triggering the natural production of new collagen fibers, which help to promote youthfully glowing and radiantly smooth skin.
One of the key advantages offered by laser skin resurfacing is that it allows for meticulously targeted procedures, treating only the designated area of skin, and thereby avoiding issues of hypopigmentation (skin lightening) or damage to the adjacent skin tissue. Laser skin resurfacing is an appropriate treatment for patients seeking to address a variety of troublesome skin conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Skin discoloration or uneven pigmentation (hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation)
- Acne or enlarged/clogged pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Injury or acne-related scarring
- Freckles and/or birthmarks
- Age spots
- Melasma (symmetrical, patchy brown discoloration of the facial skin—called chloasma when it occurs during pregnancy)
- Textural irregularities
- Sun spots
- Enlarged oil glands
- Liver spots
Achieving optimal results from your laser skin resurfacing session is only possible when this treatment is administered by an aesthetic medicine specialist, such as Dr. Stephen A. Rath, lead physician at Fusion Medical Spa, located in Ruidoso, New Mexico. Dr. Rath specializes in laser-based aesthetic enhancement modalities, and has equipped Fusion Medical Spa with the Icon™ Aesthetic System, the most powerful laser and light aesthetic platform available, which is optimized to provide safe and successful laser skin resurfacing treatments.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure and Results
The Icon™ workstation provides both ablative and non-ablative laser resurfacing options:
- 1540 Fractional Laser: this non-ablative laser provides a gentler treatment than the ablative laser options, leaving the surrounding tissue unaffected and intact, while still producing dramatic skin rejuvenation and a significant improvement in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, stretch marks, age spots, acne/surgical scars, and melasma/chloasma.
- 2940 Fractional Laser: this ablative laser is ideally suited for the treatment of deep wrinkles and severe textural irregularities. During treatment, high-energy pulses create a controlled thermal injury that extends into the deepest skin layers to stimulate the body’s natural repair response.
The 2940 laser’s unique Groove™ Optic pattern provides high ablative coverage with fast recovery and minimal downtime.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Rath will create a customized treatment plan for you that incorporates one (or both) of the Icon’s laser options. When designing your treatment plan, Dr. Rath will take into consideration all pertinent factors, such as: the current condition of your skin, your primary skin concerns, and your unique aesthetic goals. Most patients are able to achieve excellent results after only one laser skin resurfacing session; however, the exact number of treatment sessions will depend upon the severity of your skin issues.
Contact Fusion Medical Spa
Dr. Rath understands the importance of individual customization when performing aesthetic enhancement treatments in a medical spa setting. He eschews the “cookie cutter” approach adopted by many med spas, and instead takes the necessary time to listen to your specific cosmetic and health-related goals before creating a treatment plan designed to safely and effectively fulfill those objectives.
Dr. Rath and his professionally trained staff have worked hard to create a warm, welcoming office environment, where you will feel comfortable and relaxed throughout your laser skin resurfacing experience. If you are interested in learning more about how laser skin resurfacing can enhance and revitalize the appearance of your skin, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Rath.