WHAT IS A CHEMICAL PEEL?
A chemical peel (derma peeling, chemexfoliation) is a non-surgical skin rejuvenation treatment that utilizes chemical solutions of varying strengths and formulations to remove the damaged, outermost skin layers. Chemical peels can be administered to address a multitude of problematic skin conditions that detract from the aesthetic appeal of the face, neck and hands, such as:
- Scarring from acne or injury
- Sun damage
- Fine lines, wrinkles, or furrows
- Age spots
- Blemished, uneven, or acne prone skin
- Rough patches on the skin
- Liver spots
- Pigmentation or textural irregularities
In order to achieve optimal skin rejuvenating benefits from your chemical peel, your treatment should be performed by an experienced aesthetic enhancement specialist, such as Dr. Stephen A. Rath, lead physician at Fusion Medical Spa. Dr. Rath is dedicated to keeping up with the latest developments in the field of minimally invasive skin treatments in order to offer his patients a wide range of effective procedures, convenient scheduling options, minimal post-treatment downtime, and enduring results. From Fusion Medical Spa’s state-of-the-art facilities in Ruidoso, New Mexico, Dr. Rath and his team of licensed medical aestheticians have helped many patients reveal youthfully glowing, revitalized complexions skin with carefully customized chemical peel treatments.
CHEMICAL PEEL OPTIONS AND PROCEDURE
Your chemical peel will be performed in the comfort of our office, and will involve the precise application of accurately calibrated chemical solutions to your skin. Chemical peels are offered in three general strengths:
- Light Chemical Peel: the mildest peel option, the light chemical peel also referred to as the “superficial peel,” and is ideally suited for all skin types. The light peel is an appropriate option for patients seeking to improve the appearance of fine lines, acne, uneven skin pigmentation, and/or dry skin. Light chemical peels contain active ingredients such as glycolic acid, alphahydroxy acids, and beta hydroxy acids, which remove only the outermost layer (epidermis) of the skin. This gentle exfoliation works to subtly improve the condition of the skin, creating a refreshed, healthy glow. The gentle nature of this superficial peel means that patients can immediately resume their normal activities at the conclusion of their treatment. It is safe to schedule the light peel at weekly intervals for up to six consecutive weeks.
- Medium Chemical Peel: more intensive than the light chemical peel, medium peels are designed to address skin conditions such as acne scars, uneven skin tone, and deep wrinkles. Medium strength peels are formulated with TCA (trichloroacetic acid) and glycolic acid, powerful ingredients that work to strip away damaged skin cells from both the outermost layer of skin (epidermis) and the upper part of the deeper skin layer (dermis). You may be given an oral sedative and/or pain reliever to ameliorate any discomfort during your 30-40 minute peel. After the treatment, you may experience temporary peeling, redness, and discoloration, which should subside within 5-7 days.
- Deep Chemical Peel:the most potent peel option, deep chemical peels harness the exfoliating power of the chemical known as phenol to produce dramatic skin-enhancing results that can last up to 10 years. Deep peels penetrate through the surface of the skin to correct skin problems at their source—the innermost layers of the skin. Deep peels are appropriate for patients who present with severely sun-damaged skin, deep facial wrinkles, prominent scars, and pre-cancerous growths. Approximately 8 weeks prior to your deep chemical peel, you will be put on a pre-treatment regimen of prescription strength Retin-A, which will help to prep the skin and accelerate the healing process. At the start of your treatment, you will be given a local anesthetic and an oral or intravenous sedative to minimize any discomfort. Many of our patients elect to take 1-2 weeks off from work after a deep peel, to allow for proper skin regrowth and healing.
After conducting a thorough evaluation of your skin condition and treatment objectives, Dr. Rath will make his recommendations as to the chemical peel strength and formulation that is best suited to addressing your current skin concerns and safely fulfilling your aesthetic goals.
CONTACT FUSION MEDICAL SPA
Dr. Rath understands the importance of individual customization when performing aesthetic enhancement treatments in a medical spa setting. He eschews the “cookie cutter” approach adopted by many med spas, and instead takes the necessary time to listen to your specific cosmetic and health-related goals before creating a treatment plan designed to safely and effectively fulfill those objectives.
Dr. Rath and his professionally trained staff have worked hard to create a warm, welcoming office environment, where you will feel comfortable and relaxed throughout your chemical peel experience. If you are interested in learning more about how a chemical peel can improve the appearance and condition of your skin, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Rath.